Friday, November 27, 2009

30, 35, 40...

I've always been one whose closest friends were, for the most part, 4-5 years older. When I was 25 I listened longingly as they talked of the joys of 30. A sense of being settled, others valuing what you have to say, fewer major decisions and more reveling in the decisions made.

By the time I turned 30 they were all saying the same things about 35. And, of course, by the time I turned 35 they were all gushing about how great 40 is for all the same reasons 30 and 35 were supposed to be great.

I have wise, smart, sassy, god-fearing, not-content-to-let-me-be-mediocre, fun sorts of friends. But for 15 years now they have been wrong! So this year I am refusing to listen if they start to rave about 45. I am looking so forward to 40 that nothing can take that away from me.

Interestingly, though, I already enjoy some of the things they raved about for so many years. Life is settled in a wonderful way. I am not career-building, but am enjoying being good at what I do and the blessing of doing it in a place that honors my desire to put God and family first. I am deeply honored to be an instrument of God where and when HE chooses.

And (hold on to your seats because this one's a real weird one), it appears I do have some influence. It's been exciting reading comments and seeing followers add themselves to my blog. People seem to want to hear what I have to say. There have been other indications of that over the years (or at least in the years since 35), but now I have it in black and white!

And while it's fun and exciting, it also makes me uncomfortable...and well it should!

I want to live up to the trust others place in me. I thirst even more to be a woman after God's own heart, so that I might share the wisdom I have received from so many around me. After all, I have nothing I did not get from someone else (I even got that statement from Paul!).

So to all of you who have influenced me that I may influence others for God, thank you.

(BTW: Today's run was great for me and my son!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.