Saturday, March 13, 2010

God in Pagan Philosophy

I love the way God powerfully invades His creation. Even in those who do not know God, God can be known.

The ancient philosopher Seneca once wrote, "Let him [the rich man] compare all that he has with what he still covets, and he is a poor man!"

Though a pagan, Seneca's words carry truth for more than mere possessions. When I compare my life with what I still want to accomplish, I feel poor. I yearn for more status, recognition, praise, power.

But when I think of the immutable God I serve; the amazing husband and children I am blessed with; the many other deep, rich, loving relationships I have; the home God gave me in which to nourish those relationships; the opportunities for learning and growth; the spheres of influence for a better world in which I travel; and the innumerable other blessings of my life, I can think nothing but that I may be the richest person around.

So it is that from pagan philosophy I gain a godly truth:

May I not ponder what I do not have as a measure of my life; for in comparison to what I do have, that which I covet fades to nothingness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.