Monday, May 17, 2010

The Communion of the Lord's Supper

Nearly every Sunday of the past 26 years I have enjoyed the feast of the Lord's Supper. Being a person who thrives on interaction, I am always looking for the communion of the Lord's Supper. That is to say, ways in which to commune with my Christian family through the Lord's Supper.

You can imagine how much I love it when we take communion around tables. Or when we serve one another and are able to look each other in the eye as we share the body and blood of Christ. I call it putting the commune fully into communion.

Yesterday I reveled in a whole new experience of the communion of the Lord's Supper while, for the first time, all three of of the men in my life served the Lord's Supper together.

As I lifted my head after the prayer, I watched as Boy 2 walked past on his way to the front row, plate of unleavened bread in hand. Close behind was Mark coaching him through his first serving of communion. Glancing to the right I noticed Boy 1, with already three years of experience serving, passing the bread at the other end of my set of rows. And so it went with the cup and the offering.

I experienced the communion of the Lord's Supper in a new and deeper way yesterday, and I treasured it all up in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the things you treasure in your heart. It must be a joy to see your boys grow in their love for the Lord and watch their faith grow . . . and to do it together. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.