Saturday, September 4, 2010

Matilda

Alas! Has it been a month since my last writing? Why yes, yes it has. Just one more thing to blame Matilda for.

Who, you ask, is Matilda? Is she a house guest, who despite the fact that both fish and guests smell bad after three days, stayed a whole month? Is she a new addition to your brood of Boy 1, Boy 2, and Wee 1? Is she an imaginary friend?

Well, no, she is none of those (though there are times when I must re-convince myself that she is indeed NOT imaginary).Matilda is the name our family has given to whatever this/these illness/illnesses is/are that plague me.

I decided to name the havoc being wreaked in my body until such time as a doctor can give it a proper name. To say, "I'm sure having a Matilda day today!" is much easier than, "Whatever this is I've got...or had...or might have...or, oh you know what I mean...is really bothering me today."

And on days when my brain battles fiercely to get my mouth to say the words it has found and to find the words it's lost, proclaiming, "Stupid Matilda!" is not only easier but also somewhat gratifying.

3 comments:

  1. Having a named illness is way better than an unknown illness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have probably gone off refined/processed foods. I hear people that have chronic illnesses try it and feel somewhat better. c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I haven't been "on" much processed food for years. My boys regularly thank me for "not cooking from a can." Comes from having lived in Europe for 4 years where you make everything from scratch. And everything scratch involves complex carbs rather than white flour...unless, of course, it's a lovely dessert. But everyone's gotta live!!

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.