Friday, February 12, 2010

Santa's Not the Only Thing Gone!

Boy 2 finally decided that he has enough evidence to conclude there is indeed no Santa Claus. It made for a different kind of Christmas around the Parker Home, but one I think will be treasured in my memory for years to come.

In light of the changes in our Christmas tradition, I have sought to protect other important things we do together as a family. Traditions serve as glue in many ways; they bind us together in our memories.

All week, with Friday night approaching, I planned and anticipated. I arranged for Boy 2 to have a friend over to enjoy the upcoming event. I made the family's favorite Croatian dessert: Palachinka. I checked and re-checked listing times. I reminded Mark to stop and pick up the pizza on the way home and had our home staged.

All I had left to do was switch on NBC and the Bi-annual Watching of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies at the Parker Home would begin!

Imagine the deflation of my heart, of all my hopes for this grand event, when one by one my family informed me that they did not want to watch.

Children outgrow things. Husbands have projects they want to spend time on. No one intended to pop my Olympic size balloon; but popped it was. I could have demanded acquiescence to my plans for the evening. All three would have participated had I expressed how important it was to me. But the Olympics do not warrant such demands.

Some traditions are important enough to fight for, to insist upon. Traditions that draw us together around our shared beliefs and values are non-negotiable. Traditions that lead us to love and serve others will not be outgrown. Traditions that center us as a family cannot be replaced by projects.

As my Olympic balloon joins Santa in the wastebasket of bygone traditions, I will save my demands for the traditions that really matter.

Meanwhile, I will watch the ceremonies all by little ol' self!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.