Saturday, February 20, 2010

Two Taunting Ten Year Olds

The weather today is the nicest it's been in months. After the unusually frequent sub-freezing temps and two snowfalls and an ice storm that took a tree out of our front yard, today's balmy 60 degrees beckoned me out of doors. Unwilling to resist the call of the sun and shine, I went for a walk with the family.

Out we went on an innocent stroll through the neighborhood. Boy 2 and his friend had more energy than two ten year olds should have at the end of a Saturday afternoon, so we sent them running through a field.

They quit running halfway back to where we stood amazed as they claimed to be exhausted after such a short run. I, being the mom I am, taunted them in hopes of getting more running out of them. "Oh come on," I yelled, "you've been playing video games for an hour. Surely now you have the energy to run!"

Then came the fateful words from Boy 2's friend. "Let's see YOU do it, Mrs. Parker!"

Off I went through the grassy field. Halfway to my destination I felt the earth giving way beneath me. I was still up and running, but somehow I was not making contact like I should. That's when I realized I was running in mud. As I continued going through the motions of running the mud refused to support my intentions and down I went.

I often respond to ten year old taunting by proving I can do what they claim I cannot. I enjoy the look of amazement on their faces when they realize that old people can still do some funky moves. Today, however, the ten year olds triumphed.

But fear not. There will be plenty more opportunities to show up the ten year olds in my life!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh out loud. Ella was eating lunch while I read this and she laughed, too (just to join me in my laughing). Better luck next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having personal knowledge of Boy 2's friend, this is all the funnier!!

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.