Friday, February 26, 2010

Wondering Parents

I have a number of friends who just became parents, are about to be parents, or are trying to become parents. As I cleaned the toothpaste spit off of the mirror in the bathroom Boy 2 uses I thought of those friends. 

This mirror is about 10 inches higher than the top of Boy 2's head. So I have to wonder, what on earth does he do to get toothpaste spit way up on that mirror. And not just on the lower portion of the mirror. He manages to get toothpaste spit all the way to the top of the mirror.

I know you are thinking that he is probably playing target practice with my mirror. I have thought that too. And so I have spied. He seems to be brushing his teeth and spitting into the sink in the most normal, calm, non-target-practice way. I guess he just has a wide spittle range. But then I have to wonder, HOW?

As I wiped this today's toothpaste spit off the mirror I thought about the myriad other things I have always wondered about kids. 

Here is just a sampling:

1.  What's the big deal about licking?
2.  What makes the sight of a bottom so irresistible that it must be smacked?
3.  In what book did you ever read that saying please a bzillion times would be an effective and efficient means to any end?
4.  Are jokes about pooting, imitations of pooting, and all other poot related things truly hilarious? (Okay, I don't really wonder about this one.)
5.  How does a nice, clean home become a total wreck in under 30 minutes while everyone "was just sitting watching TV?"
6.  What is it about hearing, "I know you are but what am I?" that is so befuddling?
7.  How many licks does it take to get to the inside of a tootsie-roll pop and how will I ever know if you won't stop biting your suckers?!?
8.  In what way are chores and being spoken to mutually exclusive?
9.  Can you say napkin?
10. Is it really worth extra chores just to get the last word in? Really?

Of course there are lots of other things that leave me wondering. How did even God manage to make such marvelous creatures? Is there anything more amazing that a soft baby hand on your cheek? When did that baby's hand grow bigger than mine? Why does everyone say teen years are awful? How can God love my babies more than I do? And so on and so on...

So to all of you about to enter the world of wonders that is parenting, I say:

Enjoy every moment of every stage...even when it leaves you wondering.





No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.