Sunday, February 7, 2010

This Time I've Got NyQuil

Friday morning I had a tickle in the back of my throat. Yesterday I could feel the fluid rolling around in my eustachian tubes. Today I feel rotten.

But it's just a cold so I went on with my day as planned, taking care not to hug anyone or get too close in conversation. NyQuil Daytime at the ready, I worshiped with my family of God, met with the advisory council I serve, attended a reunion for a ministry I am involved in, and stopped in at a farewell bash for a dear friend leaving for the mission field.

As important as these things are, I yearned for a pillow to lay my aching head upon.

Most Sundays are not like today...but they used to be. I used to spend nearly every Sunday in back-to-back events and meetings. I rushed around, ate hurried lunches, and ended many Sundays with an aching head. And then one day I realized that I as much as I loved and felt passion for everything I was involved in, more often than not I just wanted a pillow upon which to lay my weary head. I decided that was no way to spend my Sabbath.

After a long, hard year of stepping off of committees, out of ministries, away from things that, though good, were not the best for me, I have recaptured my Sabbath.

Moving through this busy day feeling like my head might fall off my shoulders I was grateful knowing that this is now an exception to the rule. An I had a most wonderful thought: this time I have NyQuil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.