Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ruth

I wrote the following on March 3, 2010:

I spent a couple of hours at the hospital tonight with a good friend and her family. Ruth, who taught me everything I know about football, has been chronically and severely ill for as long as I have known her. She is in her 60s and spends most days in extreme pain. Now unable to walk and barely able to stand, Ruth is one of the toughest chicks I know.

I enjoy visiting with Ruth. Her strength and will are inspiring. Her faith unflagging. Her humor hilarious. But I think the best part of visiting with Ruth is knowing that she loves me.

The greatest gift a person can give another is the gift of presence. That is the gift Ruth gives me. She is always thrilled to see me, ever asking about my boys, and never afraid to be herself with me. Her trust in me calls me to be a better person.

I never posted this blog. I am not sure why. Ruth died peacefully with her faithful husband at her side early last Friday morning, so it seems fitting now to post this as a small thank you note to my friend.

I am one of many whom Ruth loved and inspired; some knew her for decades while I knew her only a few years. Part of Ruth's gift was that she had enough room in the space of her love that there was always a place for anyone who would join. Since writing the blog above in March I have realized that this, too, was part of Ruth's gift to me.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful words and feelings, Christine. Thank you for sharing a bit of your love with us. It is a true treasure to be welcomed and befriended like that.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.