Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Sacred Space of Dying

Over the past week I have had the honor of sitting by the bedside of a dear friend while she and her family awaited the arrival of her death.

It's an odd thing to say, I know.

In our cluttered lives we do not leave much room for death. Death happens and we deal with it when it does, but we rarely wait for it. Indeed, we often try to deny its approach or take fantastic measures to ward it off.

Yet at times it is clear that death is inevitable.

There is a lovely grace in acknowledging that, gathering around you those whom you love the most to cherish one last time, and then simply waiting together.

Such waiting takes place in very sacred space. Few deeper intimacies exist than the one among those who wait on eternal things. Few greater privileges exist than to enter the sacred space of dying as a trusted and beloved friend.

2 comments:

  1. I had this with my Granny in September. She had had a stroke so I'm not sure how much she was aware of during those days, but she had tried to prepare me for her death for some time. Yes, the sadness was almost unbearable, but at the same I had peace, and you're right, it was sacred space. I was so honored to be there. Thanks Christine for giving me the words that I hadn't found for that time.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.