Friday, April 30, 2010

Hacked, Pfished, and Whatnot

I just finished reviewing every privacy setting in my Facebook account. I also deleted a number of applications, changed my password, and reported some spam invites being sent from my account.

It's a strange feeling to have your personal cyber-space invaded; to know that someone managed to get into your account without permission. The damage was fairly innocuous. Some friends got invited to try a miracle weight-loss strategy while others had the option to engage in 5 minutes of life-changing activity. Fortunately my friends know I am too level-headed to fall for too-good-to-be-true offers.

In addition, I recently received three Explanations of Benefits from my insurance company for claims filed on behalf of myself and my two sons for well care visits we did not have with a doctor we did not see. Somehow our HIPAA protected health information was obtained and used to file fraudulent insurance claims.

What I am learning is that such events have become so common that everyone knows what to do when it happens. "Change your password," they are saying. "Call this number to report insurance fraud," I am told.


It saddens me that the present reality assumes everyone will be hacked, pfished, and whatnot. Perhaps it sounds naive, but I yearn for a place where being preyed upon is not normal. I long to live without the need to for constant vigilance. 


I am going [to my Father's house] to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me....
--Jesus, John 14:2b-3

In that place there will be no need for passwords, privacy, or vigilance. Come, Lord Jesus. Come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.