Wednesday, November 10, 2010

He Has a Great Vocabulary!

Anytime I think about what I am grateful for, my first thoughts fly to my boys. One of those boys is my husband of 18.5 years.

I first met Mark 20 years ago this December. I was in my junior year in college, and he was a high school teacher. A mutual friend, David, convinced me to attend the book review Mark was giving at my college's library. I did not expect much from this book review, but I went to satisfy my friends.

I arrived a few minutes late and the review was already under way. Glad I would be able to slip in and out unnoticed, I found a spot with some friends. What happened over the next 30 minutes or so surprised no one more than me.

I noticed how cute Mark was right off, but as I listened I began to see a number of admirable qualities in this man I would have completely blown off if my friends had let me. Rather than slipping out unnoticed I became  determined to meet him.

When I got home later that night, my roommates asked me what I thought of this Mark Parker guy. "He's cute, has a great vocabulary, and is quite witty," I told them.

Twenty years later Mark ranks at the top of my list of blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks like I'm Karate Frog today. Normally, I go by Lisa Milton. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out with Joe for the first time because I thought it would be good for me. Little did I know!

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.