Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Inside-Out Boy

A little more than 10 years ago Boy 2 entered this world with a gusto that flows far more than it ebbs. At the age of 3, when asked who he was, he stood upon the chair he was in, raised his hands to the sky and proclaimed, "I am KING of the universe!!" Of course, his dad and I have helped him better understand his place in the universe, but his great passion for living has not diminished.

More than just wearing his heart on his sleeve, Boy 2 shows all his emotion everywhere on the outside of himself. Indeed, I have taken to calling him the Inside-Out Boy. I never have to guess what Boy 2 is thinking or feeling, When he is sad, you see it on his face and in the downward droop of his entire body. When his is excited, step back and get out of the way!

Not only are Boy 2's reactions to the world obvious, they are always full of dramatic expression. He is never bored, he is at great loss for any iota of entertainment! Sleepy? No, "utterly exhausted." Happy is not a big enough word for Boy 2; he requires something more along the lines of "excruciatingly joyful." And if you ever have the blessing of watching that child eat ribs you will be treated to a full-on experience of palette pleasure.

Of course, this trait comes with its challenges. When Boy 2's feelings are hurt, his outward mourning is apparent to all and becomes for some invitation to hurt more. He's had to learn a time or two what kids will do if you let them know how successfully they got to you.

But far more than challenges, Boy 2's enthusiasm and gusto bring great joy. Simply watching and listening to him experience life is enough to give hint to the joy of the Father when His children enter full-on into living life.

So to say that I am thankful for Boy 2 would be to insult his Inside-Outness. Instead, I must insist that on this, the 8th day before the grand occasion of my 40th birthday, I am filled with such a rush of momentously loving emotion that I can hardly keep my feet on the ground!



3 comments:

  1. You are so close to your blogging goal! Gosh I miss you guys. Happy birthday to you & Boy2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could see him up close & personal. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.