Monday, January 18, 2010

I Live Inside a Popped Kernel of Corn

When the boys were aged 5 and 1 we moved into a cute, but tiny house. I loved this house. It was not my dream house; it had only one bathroom, and the enormous oak trees rained little sticks all over the yard year-round. But it was in this house that Memphis, after having already been here five years, became our home.

However, boys do grow. And as they grow they get louder. By the time Boy 1 was ten I could hear them from the other end of the house and not be able to hear myself think (which is a significant accomplishment since I can think pretty loudly). So we put our 2nd-Memphis-house-but-1st-Memphis-home on the market in hopes of getting a bit more space.

And so we did...twice as much. We were not looking for something as big as we got, but with the cosmetic fixing up and the new roof it needed, we got a great deal. The folks who helped us move were amazed at the difference in size, and it was on moving day that I realized I was moving from the unpopped kernel to the popped kernel.

Three years later we still have plenty of space. Some of the closets are not even half full. But the best part of our 2200 square feet is the way we can bless others in so many of the myriad ways we have been blessed in the past.

1 comment:

  1. I'm remember times of blessing in both your homes. 2011...I'll be over!

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.