Saturday, January 30, 2010

So Begins My Sabbath

After a wonderful day of study and learning yesterday, today has been a fiasco. Despite numerous attempts to work, I have only gotten five verses translated and NO reading done. And it's not because I haven't tried to...

Life happened today.

Boy 2 needed to play in the snow and ice, so I sat cozy in the living room watching him through the front window (the best stuff was in the front yard). But it's hard to study and keep an eye on the world outside. Besides, Boy 2 is tremendously fun to watch when he does not know he is being watched.

Boy 1's science project group was supposed to meet at my house today, but due to inclement weather decided to attempt a cyber-meeting. The chaos that ensued required far more intervention from me than I had planned (and I had planned on not intervening at all!).

By the time I was done helping Boy 1 and Boy 2 it was time to pick Mark up from the airport, after which I finally settled in for a bit of reading. Before I knew it the doorbell was ringing as friends arrived to share their 4 year-old son with us while they celebrate their anniversary, and then it was time to make dinner.

Now dinner is done, the boys are all playing happily, and Mark is generously cleaning the kitchen for me. It's an ideal time for study, except that I now have indigestion (and it's not from the yummy soup I made for dinner) and no creative energy left.

It's cliche to say that life is like that sometimes. Best laid plans. Life happens. But cliches result when truth is so true it gets repeated over and over.

So instead of getting mad or frustrated or forcefully ignoring the discomfort of indigestion to read with an unfocused brain what I will have to re-read tomorrow because of tonight's lack of focus, I'm going to give myself a break. Instead of demanding that I stick perfectly to my study schedule I am going to rest, relax, and recover.

And so begins my sabbath. Praise God for His wisdom in telling His beloved creation to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.