Friday, January 1, 2010

Inspired to Look More Closely

I never really saw him for the great man he was. By the time I met him he was 70-ish and had been retired for many years, and I knew him primarily as Dr. Jack's brother. He had the persona of a jolly old man who never tired of telling me blonde jokes (which I loved!). He was famous for his jokes and would e-mail really good ones to all his friends.

But there was so much more to him than I ever saw.

I attended his funeral yesterday and was moved by the story of his life. Raised on a farm, he went to college and became a successful accountant. He was an accomplished musician and during WWII often was called on to play Taps for fallen soldiers. He and his wife stayed married until her death in the early 1990s and raised two daughters together. One of his daughters spent 30 years of her 37-year life in an iron lung due to the effects of polio. Not wishing her to be denied more of life than she already had, he designed and built a "portable" iron lung so that she could go on short trips with the family.

He served God's Kingdom as deacon, elder, and, most important, faithful child of God. After retiring he spent 13 years in nearly full-time volunteer service digitizing the card catalog for the largest theological library in the south. At the church he and his surviving daughter, who grew into a woman who displayed his same passion for serving others, and her family attended, he built the church's library into one of the best church library's around.

All the while he lived a deeply frugal, but not ungenerous, life and by the time of his death had contributed $50,000 to the endowed scholarship fund created in loving memory of his wife and dedicated to the training of God's ministers on earth.

I don't blame myself for not really seeing him. We cannot truly see the depths of everyone with whom we cross paths. I don't know that my relationship with this laughter-loving man of God would have changed had I known his heart more deeply, but I do know that in his death he has inspired me to look closely and pay rapt attention to those I do have the blessing of truly knowing and seeing in this life.

2 comments:

  1. I may have to make this into two comments!

    First, it wasn't until my grandmother's funeral (my very closest relative outside my immediate family) that I learned that she led the drive to organize the union in the laundry she worked in - in the face of serious opposition. I would have loved to have heard her talk about the experience.

    Second, at a women's retreat a few years ago, I began asking people what they did for a living. I had always assumed that most answers would be somewhat mundane and ordinary (CPA, nurse, manager, etc.) I could not have been more surprised! I met a woman who is a private investigator for a death penalty appeals attorney, a woman who does makeup and hair for a funeral home, and a woman who had just spent several weeks in Spain with an MLGW contingent. I wonder how many opportunities I missed to hear stories that were as fascinating as those I heard that weekend.

    Here's too looking closer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family was so blessed to be Mr. Clyde's neighbor for 5 years. He brought us fresh figs from his tree (if the birds didn't get to them first), pretty flowers for me, and even let Matthew climb his trees and get on his roof to blow leaves off with Matthew's homemade backpack leaf blower(though he was always nervous when he did so). I enjoyed taking him extras from our dinners at night (sometimes he was just having Jell-O for dinner) and visiting with him nearly every day. Mr. Clyde was a wonderful man and he will be missed greatly.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.