Friday, January 15, 2010

These are a Few of My Favorite Things!

Our family loves musical productions. Boy 2 has practically memorized the soundtrack to Phantom of the Opera and Boy 1 is writing a Requiem. It is just as likely to find us gathered on a Friday night to watch a movie version of a Broadway show as it is to see us viewing a sci-fi or fantasy flick. Just recently we enjoyed Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

When the boys were younger favorites were Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. We still enjoy the refrain, "These are a few of my favorite things!"

One of my favorite things is the comments on the blogs I write. Some leave them here in Blogger, while others post them in a Facebook link. Still others tell me what they remembered while reading my blog the next time they see me in person. The thing all these comments have in common, though, is the sharing of stories and memories invoked in readers by whatever I wrote.

Years ago a very wise woman told me that one of the most powerful ways we can minister to others is in providing them a way to share their stories. Not only does the sharing bring joy to the sharer (or healing, or peace, or just a chuckle over a silly memory), but it also reveals the connectedness of humanity.

I have been deeply blessed in the sharing of my various tidbits. I have enjoyed the kind remarks that my writing was well done. I have thrilled over some of my own memories and the opportunities to reveal to you the amazingness of the various people I am honored to know.

And I have thoroughly enjoyed the stories and memories and revelations you have shared in return.

So, when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad...I will remember many of your stories and know that things are not so bad.

1 comment:

  1. There's a book that has been floating around my consciousness for awhile now called "Listening is an Act of Love." Someday I'll find time to read it. Also, I love the Story Corp project on NPR on Friday mornings. If you've never heard it, you should check it out. It's awesome.

    By the way, I've enjoyed getting to know you better by following your blog.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.