Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Perfect Storm (and I Ain't Talkin' 'Bout the Snow That's A-Comin')

I am officially stressed out.

I work pretty hard to keep my stress level pretty low. I am very careful to maintain plenty of room in my life for the unexpected. And I can be pretty flexible...I generally roll with the punches and am able to keep the stress that does sneak in from time to time from affecting too much of my life.

Today was a grand exception. Today I cried over my children at work and fretted over work at home. Today I wound my intestines up tight and made my stomach sick. And not once to I stop to breathe a prayer and rest in the flow of God's grace. Today I got stressed out.

Nothing in particular happened today to force me off of my punch-rolling path; it was more of a convergence of events. A perfect storm, if you will.

So I came home after carpool, ate a bowl of Ramen noodles (I forgot just how good those taste), drank a Diet Dr. Pepper, and played on my iPhone for awhile. Now, only an hour or so later, I am feeling much better. My mind is clearer, my belly better, and I am not snapping at my boys.

I don't like feeling like I did earlier today; and getting out of that place usually takes a lot more than a bowl of simple carbs and a bit of caffeine. I have done my share of living a lifestyle of stress, and I desperately do not want return to it. It is days like today that keep me motivated to maintain a lower stress level in my life and in  our home.

And it is days like today that remind me that I can, no matter how hard life gets, stop and rest in God. (I just forgot to today.)

P.S. I don't advocate comfort food and video games as a rule for de-stressing, but sometimes you just gotta stop thinking and chillax (can chillaxin' be a verb? I just made it one.).

2 comments:

  1. I love to "chillax" to the rhythm of Bejeweled. I can turn my brain off, AND it give me compliments - "Wow!" "Awesome!" "Incredible!"

    And you know you can ask me to take your carpool turn anytime if it helps! I just reserve the right to have other plans!

    Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your rough day, glad you're doing better, and thankful for your transparency in sharing the struggles and lessons learned. And yes...chillaxin with whatever it takes has its time and place. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.