Friday, December 11, 2009

DIY Christmas

I have not purchased a single Christmas present. That's because this year we are trying something a bit different...Do-It-Yourself Christmas.

Making each other gifts to go along with the ones we buy has been a long standing tradition in our family. Last year I gave Boy 2 a set of 12 chore passes. Once a month he could redeem a chore pass and I would do a chore of his choosing for him. Another time I enlarged and framed a photograph Boy 1 had taken and was particularly proud of.

This year we added the DIY element. It all started with discussions about enlarging the room upstairs the boys use for their Wii, guitar hero, and other hang-out types of things. As they and their friends get bigger they seem to need a bit more elbow room for their gangly selves.

I would like my home office and bookshelves painted, and Mark wants a clean attic. As we tried to prioritize these projects we hit on a unique idea. Why not do them for each other as Christmas gifts?

So instead of double checking a list of gifts to buy, this year I am staring into the stark cold of the attic wondering whether I will regret the gift I am giving this year!

2 comments:

  1. You should see my attic! Believe me, I'd come out ahead buying a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm painting your bookshelves AND tearing out a wall? I'm either a stud or a glutton for punishment. (Correct answer: both!)

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.