Sunday, December 27, 2009

An Enemy Routed

Thirty-six hours into this thing called resting, I have discovered truth for healing. One truly does get well faster if one heeds one's own body's signals for extra rest. 


After yesterday's nastiness which kept me in bed all day, I awoke this morning still feeling ill, but as if the viral troops had been dispersed and were no longer attacking only my throat. With the war now being waged on many fronts, my immune system had the upper-hand. 


Of course, my first thought was to get myself on to church and to doing other things a day like today would generally require; making lunch, cleaning up from Christmas, etc. My second thought, however, has turned out to be much wiser, for I opted to remain in bed thinking that if one day of rest had so routed the enemy, two days of rest would surely obliterate it.


I don't usually have the luxury of taking to my bed when a virus strikes. Viruses are not typically discretionary in the time they choose to attack. Motherly duties do not halt in the face of this kind of enemy; carpool, homework, and laundry all march on. 


But if ever the opportunity arises again, I will not hesitate in the least to take comfort in my bed and let my immune system annihilate the hostile virus.

1 comment:

  1. When I can - when I wasn't working and the kids were at school - I'd forgo all that needs to be done and nap. It's counter intuitive to the mothermind, but I always get better quicker this way. So I can tackle the laundry & other miscellany.

    Hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.