Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sweaty Nails

There is a smell unique to boys who have been outside playing. It is a combination of boy sweat, grass, dirt, and some kind of metallic smell. The best way I can describe it is that it smells like sweaty nails.

If you have never smelled a boy just come in from the backyard, then imagining what sweaty nails smell like may be rather impossible. However, having discussed this matter with other boy moms I am confident in my description.

It does not take long for a boy to accumulate the sweaty nails smell. Often my boys have gone out a mere five minutes before returning indoors (usually with some kind of "I'm bored," or "It's too hot," proclamation) and reeked of sweaty nails. Nor does it have to be hot outside to engender the sweaty nails smell. Just today my boy played in the backyard where it was a cozy 35 degrees and still the sweaty nails aroma found them.

Being hugged by a sweaty nails smelling boy is not the greatest joy of being a boy mom, but it certainly one of the more interesting aspects.

1 comment:

  1. I've always thought that Sean comes in smelling like a combination of soil and wind.

    ReplyDelete

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.