Sunday, December 6, 2009

Less Than Lucid This Week

If you had asked me 20 years ago I would not have predicted that I would spend 10+ years in graduate studies. Alas, and so I have, with many more to go.

In 1996 we moved to Memphis so that my husband could attend seminary and earn a Master's of Divinity. In 1997, I began my degree in counseling at the same school. Both of us were committed to keeping family first, so we studied part-time.

After 5 long and laborious years (which, incidentally, included the birth of our second child, so when I say laborious, I really mean it!), I earned my degree.

I took a year off, but was soon back at Harding University Graduate School of Religion auditing classes in the M.Div. program. By that time I was being invited to teach and speak more and more, and I knew everything I learned at HUGSR would benefit that ministry.

Before long I was hooked. I enjoyed my studies in counseling, and the knowledge and skills I gained through that degree inform every aspect of ministry today. However, I quickly discovered that my passion was in theological studies.

So far I have loved (almost) every minute of my theological studies. As I finish my Greek series (I'm writing this as a break from studying for the upcoming final) I look forward to the next adventures in theology.

And if this week's musings are a bit less exciting, rather boring even, or if they are less than lucid, please forgive. A wiser blogger might take the week off, but I am no such blogger. I promised a daily adventure as I count down to 40, and I am quite certain this is just one opportunity of many to glimpse the less glamorous side of my otherwise amazingly exciting life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.