Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Uncle Sam Wants ME!

I got a personal invitation in the mail yesterday. Addressed to Ms. Christine Parker, it was unmistakably mine.

The invitation raved about all the reasons I was specially chosen for this very special honor. I am self-motivated, hard-working, adventurous, a world-traveler. In a word, awesome.

The invitation went on to describe the myriad benefits of accepting. I was tempted by the knowledge I would gain, experiences I would have, and long-term stability I would enjoy. Opportunities to travel, meet new people, learn about new cultures. I would be nuts to pass all this up.

Finally, the real sizzle came; the selling-point of selling-points. I would do more before the age of 30 than most people accomplish in a lifetime!

I had been invited to join the Navy.

1 comment:

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.