Tuesday, December 8, 2009

There is a Time Warp in My Home

This morning I learned that the itsy-bitsy virus Boy 2 had was actually a reprise of the asthma he has not been visited by for 3 years. Within moments of getting the news I found myself back in the space and time in which  I dwelt in his 7 asthma years which began when he was an infant. Everything came back to me in the flash of a second as if we had never stopped breathing treatments and midnight ER runs.

After leaving the doctor, Boy 2 and I headed for the all-too-familiar pharmacy for the many meds to control the asthma. I could write this list of medications in my sleep and still get the spelling correct! And they look just like I remembered. Octagonal respules of clear liquid in a white box with green and purple writing. Vial shaped respules with another clear liquid. A little pink pill. A little red pill.

On the drive home I could not remember where the nebulizer was. Did I even have it anymore? We had moved since we last used it. Visions of wrangling with insurancendanced in my head--also a very familiar part of caring for a child with asthma.

But, just as if I had used the nebulizer this morning, I walked right to the closet in which it was stored and found it on the first shelf I checked. I dusted it off, put it back together in 5 seconds flat and had the medicines in it in a flash.

And then it came...the most familiar part of all: the nebulizer noise. A sound like no others. One you begin to hear in your dreams. Asthma moms can identify the sound of a nebulizer through a cinder-block wall. It's not a horrible sound; no fingernails or chalkboards. But it is a distinct sound that sticks in your little head forever.

And so there is a warping of the time-continuum in my home. What we thought was past is now present and foreseeable future. The present we knew yesterday is now past and the future is more of the past.

But, warping time is a major part of the journey of life (that whole this-man-shirt-wearing-boy-was-just-starting-kindergarten-yesterday thing). So rather than dwell further on this strangely familiar future, I will go release Boy 2 from his nebulizer prison and enjoy a bit more of the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.