Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Nemesis

Running is my nemesis. I cannot conquer it. I started running in college to lose my freshman 15 and keep it off, but back in those days I could run 3 or 4 miles a week and that was plenty...literally. 

Right after college I moved with Mark to Croatia. We spent four years in that wonderful place. I tried to keep running after we moved there, but Croatians do not run the streets for exercise. It wasn't part of the face of their culture, and my few attempts showed me very quickly that wasn't the way to stay fit in a place where my goal was to blend in thoroughly. Fortunately, Croatia is a walking culture. They walk everywhere and it was not unusual for me to walk 10 miles a day or more between getting to and from the markets, church, friends' homes, and anywhere else we went.

So I quit running after college and did not start again until after Boy 2 was born nearly 10 years ago. I gained a lovely 65 pounds when I was pregnant with that sweet boy and was still carrying most of it on his first birthday. I knew that I could no longer blame the weight on baby fat when the baby in question started kindergarten. I decided to get serious about it and remembered how well running worked for me in my college days. Since we were back in the U.S. by then it I had no missionary excuses.

But with 65 extra pounds on a 5'2" frame that had not exercised in, well, a while, running was not an immediate option. But I was more than determined. I found a nearby park that had a standard 1/4 mile track and started walking one lap and running half a lap (I use the term running loosely here because my running pace was slower than my walking pace). Eventually I was able to "run" an entire lap all the while reminding myself that I did not care how horrifying I looked to passers by.

Two years later I ran a marathon.

I still enjoy running, but it remains my nemesis. It is the one exercise that suits me best in every way, and yet I continue to go through phases of lots of running followed by no running at all. So every time I start running again I have to go through the pain and suffering of rebuilding cardiovascular abilities.

Right now I am in that place where running feels really good for most of a good run, and although I would much prefer to continue sitting here writing, I do need to get off my tush and get on my Saucony!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A lighthearted look at the year between my 39th and 40th birthdays.